R U OK?
R U OK? This question can make a real difference to those going through a tough time.
Following these four steps will give you the skills and confidence to navigate a conversation with someone you may be worried about.
Before asking it is important to prepare yourself and decide whether or not this conversation is right for you. Three Questions to ask are:
- Am I Ready? Am i in a good headspace and genuinely ready to listen?
- Am I Prepared? Do i understand they might not be ready to talk or share?
- Picked My Moment? Is it the right place? Is it a good time?
- Ask R U OK? Be friendly and concerned in your approach.
- Listen without judgement. Take what they say seriously and don't interrupt or rush the conversations.
- Encourage Action. Ask what they have done in similar situations and encourage seeing health professionals.
- Check In. Stay in touch and be there for them. Genuine care and conern can make a real difference.
For more information and free reosurces you can head to the R U OK website below.