Motivation to keep active can be difficult, especially when it’s cold and wet outside, and the couch is calling your name!
But living an active lifestyle doesn’t have to be difficult. Here are a few simple things you can incorporate into your day-to-day lifestyle this winter:
- Keep moving – movement is the key to getting active. Often we allow our thoughts to dictate our actions. To avoid this from occurring we highly recommend maintaining movement. You can incorporate this in small changes, such as not sitting down the exact moment you get home. Rather maintain that movement and go straight into your workout.
- Keep warm – keep in mind that it is winter, and you should dress accordingly. This is particularly crucial after your workout. Once you’ve warmed up or have sweated it out, it can be easy to forget about the cold weather. So, be sure to put that jumper back on before embracing the cold outside air.
- Have an exercise buddy – have an additional person to help hold you accountable throughout your workout. Going for a swim or gym workout can often be put on the back burner, however when we have an exercise buddy we find ourselves more motivated in attending. Your buddy can be a genuine friend, someone you met at the facility or maybe even one of our incredible personal trainers/swimming instructors. It’s important to note that you don’t have to be at the same level of fitness to motivate each other.
- Attend a class – finding yourself in a class full of like-minded motivated healthy individuals is a great way to hold yourself accountable. Plus the radiating energy of the instructor is bound to leave you inspired.
Did you know that we have an incredible range of group fitness classes available? To view our group fitness timetable, click here.
5. Stay hydrated – keep up your water intake. Although you may not physically feel it, it’s almost guaranteed that you are still sweating throughout your workout. Therefore it’s important that during winter you pay extra attention to keeping up your hydration levels.
BONUS TIP – Don’t forget your gym towel.
6. Stretch – remember to stretch before and after your exercise. Stretching allows your muscles to warm up and cool down. It is also a great tool to keep moving even when you don’t feel like it.
7. Take it easy – don’t forget that those rest days are just as important as those when you’re achieving PBs. It’s a common misconception that rest days will interfere with your progress. Often people find themselves more motivated after allowing themselves a break. This time allows your body and mind to reset, adjust and prepare for what’s to come.
If you have any further questions about your workout or how to stay motivated, please do not hesitate to speak with one of our friendly team members during your next visit.